Disclaimer

This blog reflects my opinion and my opinion alone. In no way shape or form do my thoughts represent those of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps or Senegal.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

First Anniversaries

Yesterday marked one complete month that I have been in country and also the first birthday I will have during service. The first of three. It is strange sometimes to really think about just how long service is. I came here at the age of 24 and will leave at the age of 27 (inchalla - a phrase which means God willing). I won't kid myself or anyone else that I have not already had moments of doubt or thoughts of leaving. PST is not easy and our CBT site is very trying in terms of my patience, tolerance and emotional strength. I miss America a lot. I miss my family, the stability, ease of communication and certainty of what I will do every day.

Here we spend a set amount of days one place, pack a bag, go spend a set amount of days somewhere else, pack up, return, have classes, then pack again and go somewhere else. It is nothing like actual service. Here is there is no permanence. At least once we are at site we can unpack, make our huts/rooms as we wish and have power over when and where we we go from day to day. I know that is the main motivator for me at  the moment to get through PST. This is not what my real life is going to be like for the next two years.

On that topic, our volunteer visit starts Wednesday. Tuesday morning is when we find out exactly where we will be going. I know for sure I will be in the Kolda region, but I don't know the villiage/town I will be in. I am both excited and anxious as Kolda is in the very south of the country and it takes a very long time to get there. Even though Senegal is about the size of North Dakota the roads are so bad that it will take 15 hours by a working order,  proper Peace Corps vehicle that doesn't break down every ten minutes. Once I am an actual volunteer, it could take between 24-48 hours, if I  am lucky ,to get back here to Thies. Aside from the long distance , I'm excited to find out how I'll be living and if I am replacing someone, who my family will be.

I found out I got Novice High on my language test. Better than I thought. Just two levels below where I need to be by the time PST is over. I might be able to make it but the   language is extremely difficult.

Upcoming schedule looks a bit like this:
Tuesday - find out our permenant sites
Wednesday - Leave very early for Volunter Visits
Sunday 15th - return to Thies
Tuesday 17th - Return to CBT
Thursday 26th - Return to Thies

Busy busy, and won't get to post again until probably I am in Mbour (blah), but I will make sure to take lots of pictures and notes so I can make a well informed post. Though I may post  a quick note  on Tuesday when I find out my actual site.

Will post pictures up when I have a better connection.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment