Disclaimer

This blog reflects my opinion and my opinion alone. In no way shape or form do my thoughts represent those of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps or Senegal.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Home Stay Update

Back in Mbour for the second stay. Two weeks and we are almost done. (Three days to go!) It rained oddly enough a few days ago, which never happens in March. Like, never. But it was a welcome relief from the heat and the sound of the rain on my tin roof reminded me of being home in Washington so it helped me fall asleep. The heat came back quick enough, though I have no idea what the temperature is. Pretty sure it is at least 90 though.

Language is still extremeley tough, and we have our first language assessment on Wednesday the day we get back to Thies. It isn't necessarily a 'graded' test as we are used to but it means we are halfway through training (I know! CRAZY!!!) and we have to be at intermediate-mid level by the time we reach the end. I am by no means anywhere near that level. Mixed up the verb 'to come' with 'to go' when I was leaving to get to the garden this afternoon. I suppose it says something that I even caught myself, but it is still irritating not being able to say the most basic things.

Not being able to communicate is the base line of all frustration here. Some of the kids follow us, muttering things in Wolof that we can't understand but know is not nice. (On a side note one kid called me a bitch in French, at which point in time I was already at the end of my rope that I told him to F-off in English and gave him the glare of doom. He ran away quickly). We've had the opportunity to talk to some actual volunteers and they say that CBT is the only time that these sorts of things really happen. Being in a big city doesn't allow for knowing who the kids are or where they live so you can tell their parents. At site we end up knowing a lot of people so either you know who they are or someone you know knows the parents and things are taken care of swiftly.

I will post pictures of my family once I get back to Thies. In the mean time I am craving a box of sprinkled cake donuts so much I may commit murder to get my hands on some. I did find an awesome place here that has really good pizza and burgers (a soul saver) for a good price and a boutique down the road that has ice cream bars for 300 CFA (about a 70cents) that is wonderful on the hot afternoon we walk back from language class.

Been updating my carepackage wish list and will post if anyone is so inclined to send me some American goodies. I'll put my address on the side though it will change in a few weeks for my permanent site.

It is so weird to think it is only a few weeks away.

Miss America. Miss my friends and family heaps and I hope to hear from everyone at some point.

Cheers!
Christine

1 comment:

  1. Will sure follow what you are up to and how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete